The Minimalistic Methodization, Part II

So I was laid up for around 16 days w/ a rather intense bronchial infection, it came out of the blue & really overstayed it's welcome..

As I was pretty much bed-ridden during the first nine days & completely wiped out I decided it was too much work to drag out my old HP Pavillion clunker laptop & my Asus netbook was also out of the question as I have that set up on my standing desk w/ an external monitor & it would be too much trouble to unhook everything so what was left? Then it hit me: my old HP IPAQ 110 & IGO Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard.



It worked perfectly & I realized how much I missed using this thing. The last time I had used it was at Panera Bread & one of the waitresses came by & said it was the coolest thing she'd ever seen, or perhaps she said cutest; I couldn't tell…. it was busy, she was pretty & I was tired; all valid factors in possible miscommunication.

As I blogged last time about cleaning up my desk & the whole minimal pc thing, my thoughts kept coming back to the simplicity of the IPAQ.

It's easy, it's portable & it's cool and/or cute.

There's no distractions either, I do occasionally use the wifi on it & Skype is also installed if I ever need it but for the most part, it's clean, ultra portable & I can really focus on the task at hand.

I realize that most folks would simply use their smartphone as a portable/minimal pc w/ this keyboard but I like my phone handy & off to the side for actual phone calls & texts.

Here's a tip for those that are serious about writing/blogging: 
  • find a dedicated space to work
  • turn off all electronics (tv, mp3 players, DVD players, skype, phone/cell phone, etc)
  • possibly use a program like focuswriter
Sometimes you just have to not only clear the physical stuff off your desk but also clear the distractions from your mind & field of view. After turning everything off around me, I wrote this entire blog on this pocket pc in under 5 minutes & when I was done, it wasn't an ordeal to wrap things up & take a desperately needed nap.

I do believe I'm headed in the right direction w/ this whole minimal pc concept….

Comments

Popular Posts