The Cinematic Fractionation: The 1960's

As I give me eyes a break I'm posting some blogs that I've sandbagged, this week it's my personal favorite from the 1960's!

Psycho (1960)



Hitchcock again: Anthony Perkins gives a stellar performance as uber-introvert Norman Bates & this movie simply oozes atmosphere as the tension keeps slowly simmering to a boil.

The Nutty Professor (1963)



Jerry Lewis as both Professor Klump & his alter-ego Buddy Love. To me, this movie is just hilarious, especially the scenes w/ the dean doing Shakespeare.

The Creeping Terror (1964)



An incredibly slow-moving & perpetually hungry alien rug devours everyone in it's path. This movie is so bad yet so watchable; when I need a laugh this is my go-to movie.

Goldfinger (1964)



The only James Bond movie on my list; a plot to rob Fort Knox, memorable villains, gadgets galore & a pitch-perfect Sean Connery. 

The Ghost & Mr Chicken (1966)



The best of what I call “The Barney Fife Road Trip Movies”, Don Knotts as a nervous nobody who becomes a cause-celeb when he writes about spending the night in the local haunted house.

Wait Until Dark (1967)



Another tour-de-force performance by Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman who turns the tables on some crooks.

Bullitt (1968) 



Steve McQueen in the definitive detective movie: interesting plot, compelling characters, power trips, politics & a car chase scene.

Planet of the Apes (1968)



Three astronauts crash land on a planet & find a lot of monkey business going on; a great commentary on both social & global responsibility & destructive dogma.

Honorable Mention:

Batman: The Movie (1966)



Take the Dynamic Duo & add Four supervillians, a roomful of world leaders, a dehydrating machine, a spray can of shark repellent, a bomb w/ the world's longest fuse, corny jokes & what do you have? A fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts