Personal Log 1.10.2018

I try not to make New Years resolutions; of course there's goals that I set & try to meet but resolutions? Nah… too many times I've said, “This year I'm going to do this… & that..  & all these things…” & too many times I've fallen short on every single one.

One of my favorite verses concerning goals & aspirations is 1 Kings 20:11 AMP, “… a man who puts on [his armor to go to battle] should not boast like the man who takes it off [after the battle has been won].”

Here it is in the GNT: “Tell King Benhadad that a real soldier does his bragging after a battle, not before it.”

James 4:13-16 AMP has something to say about plans & schemes too: “Come now [and pay attention to this], you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and carry on our business and make a profit.” Yet you do not know [the least thing] about what may happen in your life tomorrow. [What is secure in your life?] You are merely a vapor [like a puff of smoke or a wisp of steam from a cooking pot] that is visible for a little while and then vanishes [into thin air]. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and we will do this or that.” But as it is, you boast [vainly] in your pretension and arrogance. All such boasting is evil.”

These verses have a tendency to ground me, bring me back to earth so to speak. I'm all for goals, I'm all for having a vision & working toward it but I've learned to be very flexible on how & when those things come about; especially if the vision & goals involve other people.



One of my goals for 2018 is to be more sociable. By nature, I'm an introvert, I'm a very quiet individual & I have no problems being by myself for long periods of time. I think if I had lived 200 years ago I would have been a mountain man or a hermit…  but one of the reasons the Lord brought me back to my fellowship was for me to be more sociable, to connect w/ people where they're at & w/ their interests. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to engage more in both social media & real life fellowship. 

So many times people have a tendency to sequester themselves in their own little bubbles, I don't want to be that way. 

Comments

Popular Posts