Personal Log 8.28.18

So I'm trying to drop 45 pounds. 

How I gained those 45 pounds is not important but I'll be honest: the past few Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays didn't help. There's really no excuse though; I just haven't been exercising like I should have been, 'focusing more on guitar playing, teaching & recording. All that is changing…

About 5 months ago I was praying about losing weight & getting into shape again. I've been eating healthy: fruits, veggies, grains, chia seeds, yogurt, etc (& the occasional Pop-Tarts!) & I've been on the bike a few times this year but felt like there was something more to help jumpstart this regime. 



So after I prayed I felt led to go to the shed & found the old vintage push reel mower that's been in my family for at least 50+ years. I cleaned it up, adjusted/sharpened the blades & started using it. The grass was a little high (not bad) & after 15 minutes of arduous work I was worn out. I mean worn out: I was drenched in sweat, my arms & legs were on fire & I had only done a little section! I took a minute to re-think the situation... then went back at it & to make a long story short the first time I mowed the lawn w/ this vintage mower it took me 2 days whereas it usually took under 3 hours w/ the power mower. 

After a couple of days I was sore but decided to stick w/ the vintage mower. After a couple more days I went over the lawn again & it was so much easier to mow; after another couple of days I gave it a once over & it was a breeze, what used to take me around 3 hours w/ the power mower now took me less than half that time… The lawn has never looked better as the push reel mower snips the grass & doesn't rip it like a power mower does & the clippings go right back into the lawn to nourish it. 

Here's some benefits of the push reel mower:
  • it's a great aerobic workout; my arms & legs are feeling more toned & my middle is shrinking
  • it's eco-friendly: no gas = no emissions, w/ gas around $4 a gallon now it's also money saved
  • it's quiet, I can mow at 6 am & not wake the neighbors, I can pray/meditate on the Lord or pop in the ear buds & listen to an audio book 

Now this retro push reel mower is in great shape for it's age, they were really built to last however they do make new ones, some wider, some lighter, some w/ bags to catch the clippings & w/ prices between $35 - $135 they are flying off the shelves as more & more people are going retro & eco-friendly. I will say this though: at first it may seem hard & daunting but just like shaving your face, don't wait until you have a full beard to pull out the razor. I personally keep the lawn cut short & neat, so a quick buzz twice a week does the job.

I say all that to say this: sometimes the answer [to your prayers] may be unconventional & not what you expected. I had thought perhaps the Lord would give me some insight on what foods to eat/not eat or some special Biblical diet, etc but I never expected a vintage mower to be a part of my weight loss plan & I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts