Personal Log 12.3.22

 It was another [somewhat] rough week, but not like last week w/ my mom in the hospital & all that other good stuff; but just constantly being on my toes + watching/taking care of the folks… then after they go to bed getting my personal stuff done (writing/recording songs, outlining a couple of books, dealing w/ men's group outlines & future activities like the Mayberry Bible Studies, etc).

Life happens…

So this week turned into video chat week: on Tuesday I was on Skype, on Wednesday it was Jitsi Meet, on Thursday it was Zoom. Some people prefer meeting in person & to be honest, for some things I do prefer that but it seems like video conferencing is becoming more & more feasible for everyone.

I don't use my laptop anymore for that, it just seemed to pull too much from the ram/memory; I had to close every single program/tab/app/whatever to video conference (even then things were laggy) so now I just use a dedicated tablet for Skype/Jitsi/Zoom & the experience is so much better.

Skype has dramatically improved, the Meet Now feature is great: generate a meeting link & send it out! I mainly use it for one-on-one w/ family members or the Meet Now for virtual family reunions. Those joining the meeting do not need a Skype account to join, much like Zoom.

If you're not using Jitsi Meet, you should be using Jitsi Meet, it's laid out like Skype so the interface is plain & easy. I mainly use it for friends & ministry; the rooms are reusable too!

Zoom? Well, I don't hate Zoom... on my laptop it was complicated = 'went to use it & it wouldn't load because there were software updates to be had then 'had to search on the website for the software updates, then there's the privacy concerns, etc; but I don't hate Zoom, it's just not as easy as Jitsi.

After the past few months I've been streamlining things, pruning some stuff such as online social media accounts, physical things that I own, etc. I've been an avid Linux Mint user for the past few years; it's the distro I recommend for those wishing to transition from Apple & Windows, it's simply fantastic w/ a very little (if any) learning curve.

Lately though I've been using both MX Linux & AV Linux (which is MX Linux-based w/ an emphasis on audio/video production, hence the “AV”). It has OBS built in & I “might” starting livestreaming some things in 2023, both from the music room/studio at my fellowship & also remotely, we'll see.

XAPiT is worthless, to me at least. I've spent countless hours trying to engage w/ people on there w/ zero responses. It seems all they're interested in is posting memes & Scriptures. The groups are ghost towns & I've had it w/ people who just won't/don't engage. I respect Steve Schultz & what's he's done w/ Elijah List & Elijah Streams, but XAPiT is a dud. 'Might revisit it in a year or so, we'll see. Focusing on Twitter (which has become much more interesting lately) & exploring Gab more (where I'm getting some interaction).

Lastly, since we're now in the Advent/Christmas season I'm looking at making a very simple wassail drink for the Holidays; here's the recipe I have:

1 quart water

2 cups sugar

4 whole cinnamon sticks

12 whole cloves

6 whole allspice

3 cups orange juice

¾ cups lemon juice

I gallon apple cider


Combine & boil first 5 ingredients for 15 minutes.

Let stand for several hours to let spices blend.

Add orange juice, lemon juice & apple cider.

Serve warm.


It's that easy, a perfect drink for the 12 Days of Christmas & especially Twelfth Night.

Comments

Popular Posts