The Internet/Outernet Reversal

I resurrected my blog a while back so I could talk about various things, not just devotional stuff but somehow I wound up blogging about, you guessed it: devotional stuff.

So starting w/ this one, I'm going to not only blog about Bible topics/devotions but also more circumspect topics regarding all my interests, hobbies & other aspects of my life.

Speaking of life, I've been unplugging & enjoying it a lot more lately. Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in the virtual world, in social media, in the Internet that we forget about the life we're living or supposed to live in the “Outernet”.



It's a big, interesting & diverse world out there. 

Is there enough time to get everything done & experience all you want to experience? I think there is, it's called “priority”.

I read once where Theodore Roosevelt read a book every day, whether that's true or an exaggeration I have no idea but he got things done, 'lived a full & interesting life. I still have my Bible studies, studying people like Abraham, Moses, Elijah, David, Jesus... I still study themes like law, grace, healing, etc. but I'm also pursuing other interests as well.

I'm reading Shakespeare's Sonnets right now: after 61 of them I still have no clue what the dude is talking about... now I've read some of his plays & they've made perfect sense but his sonnets? Methinks he's trippin.

I love immersing myself in different literary time frames, when you read the Bible you're transported to another time...

In the last year I've been to the 1890's w/ the Sherlock Holmes mystery novels... to the 1920's w/ Tommy & Tuppence Beresford... to the 1940's w/ the Penny Parker mysteries... to the 1950's w/ the Rick Brant adventure series... to the mid 24th Century w/ the Tom Corbett space adventures... 

Lately though, I find myself turning the computer off & spending more time outside... walking & hiking... meeting new people... hanging at the library reading... playing croquet & bocce w/ friends & family... golfing more... meeting friends at a local coffee shop or ice cream parlor... hanging w/ street musicians on a corner of a small town... having 2-3 neighbors over for a marshmallow roast...  living life in the Outernet w/ people I know from the Internet.

It's really been life-changing...


Comments

Popular Posts