The Minstrel

Psalm 33:3 “Sing unto him a new song; play (nāḡan = minstrel) skilfully (yāṭaḇ = to do well, to make a thing good or right or beautiful) with a loud noise” 
 
Let's be honest here, the minstrel is often overlooked in modern worship ministry. 

Let's take a look at 1 Samuel 16:14 – 23 “But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee. Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning (yāḏaʿ = to know intimately, intimate, to know how, be skillful in) player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well. And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play (nāḡan) well (yāṭaḇ), and bring him to me. Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning (yāḏaʿ) in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him. Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep. And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul. And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he loved him greatly; and he became his armorbearer. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, Let David, I pray thee, stand before me; for he hath found favor in my sight. And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took a harp, and played (nāḡan) with his hand (yāḏ = strength, power): so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.” 

I keep coming across the word yada; it's used in Genesis when Adam was intimate w/ Eve (physical/sexual), it's also found abundantly in Hosea 6 (spiritual) & it really surprised me when I ran across it here in 1 Samuel. David had an intimate relationship w/ his instrument. 
 
'Reminds me of a quote “Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the Divine.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven 
 
1 Chronicles 13:8 “And David and all Israel played (śāḥaq = to laugh, to play instrumental music) before God with all their might (ʿōz = mighth, strength, material or physical, personal or social or political), and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets. 
 
Being a C-type personality (& also being on the Worship Team) I tend to listen to people & here's a cross section of things I've heard over the last 6 months alone regarding worship: 

- What's w/ all this repetition? I don't get it… 
- If I hear that/those same song(s) again, I'm going to throw something… 
- Would you consider doing an older chorus/hymn? They're so majestic & we really connect w/ them [more than the new stuff]… 
- How come we don't flow more & soak enough in worship? 

I've been in worship ministry for over 30 years & trust me, I've heard it all but there is one aspect of worship that is rarely taught & that's the soaking, fall-on-your-face, instrumental worship led by the minstrel. 
 
Look at 2 Kings 3:15 “But now bring me a minstrel (nāḡan). And it came to pass, when the minstrel played (nāḡan), that the hand (yāḏ) of the LORD came upon him.” 

Notice here how a psalmist wasn't called, nor a great worship leader w/ a $2000 keyboard but a minstrel was called forth. There's different kinds of worship & this is not taught enough or at all. 
 
As a musician, I listen to all kinds of music, everything from classical to jazz to rock to progressive & there is definitely the anointing of the minstrel on several artists: Gordon Kennedy from Whiteheart/Dogs of Peace, Lincoln Brewster, Eric Gillette, Phil Keaggy to name a few; they all write songs but when they compose instrumentals, their guitar playing takes me to another level, there's an anointing of the minstrel on them & I could soak for hours in their music & feel like I've been in the presence of the Lord. They intimately know both their instrument & their God, that's an unbeatable combination. They play w/ passion, you can feel it, it's transcending, they are modern day minstrels ministering to the masses. 
 
I'll leave you w/ this quote “To play without passion is inexcusable!” ― Ludwig van Beethoven 

This encouragement I give you: if you're a worship leader or head up a corporate prayer group, consider incorporating the minstrel into your worship set or prayer time & see if it takes either to a new level.

Comments

Popular Posts