Presidential Quotes: James A. Garfield

 James A. Garfield, 20th US President


“The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.”

“There are men and women who make the world better just by being the kind of people they are. They have the gift of kindness or courage or loyalty or integrity. It really matters very little whether they are behind the wheel of a truck or running a business or bringing up a family. The teach the truth by living it.”

“I love agitation and investigation and glory in defending unpopular truth against popular error.”

“If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire better than another, it is a brave man, - it is the man who dares to look the devil in the face and tell him he is a devil.”

“I believe in God, and I trust myself in His hands.”

“Things don't turn up in this world until somebody turns them up.”

“Right reason is stronger than force.”

“The lesson of history is rarely learned by the actors themselves.”

“The people are responsible for the character of their Congress.”

“I must do something to keep my thoughts fresh and growing. I dread nothing so much as falling into a rut and feeling myself becoming a fossil.”

“I would rather believe something and suffer for it, than to slide along into success without opinions.”

Comments

Popular Posts