A Better Way To Pray: Takeaway #2

Takeaway #2: Length & Content

Many people basically believe the longer they pray the better it is & the more God will answer; there's really no virtue in long praying.

Jesus normally kept His prayers short, only twice in the NT did He pray all night but as a rule He didn't usually pray for extended amounts of time. 

The shorter the prayer, the greater the faith:
  • Peace, be still” (Mark 4:39) calmed a raging storm
  • Lazarus, come forth” (John 11:43) raised a dead man

As you understand prayer correctly, yours will shorten too.

The majority of the Body of Christ views prayer primarily as an opportunity to petition God, as their time to plead w/ Him to meet their needs. Of course, there are Scriptures that reveal that asking & receiving is a valid use of prayer, but you ought to confine it to 5% or less of your prayer life.

How would you like it if every time you saw someone, they told you how great you were then asked you for something? You'd see right through them & after a while, it would get old, very old…

Then again, if every time you saw someone & the conversation was different each time, that would be a lively relationship:
  • I love you
  • I appreciate our friendship
  • How are you doing?
  • Is there anything I can do to help you?
  • Is there anywhere I can serve?
  • What do you need me to do?

Most of my prayer life has changed because of a revelation of grace & renewing my mind. I know that God has already blessed me & supplied all my needs so I don't bother Him w/ that stuff, the majority of my prayer life is simply praising, thanking & loving Him for who He is & what He's done. 

I rarely ask for anything anymore...

Comments

Popular Posts