The Epicurean Dichotomy

A pastor friend was candidating at a local fellowship recently & I sat in on the Q & A after the service. Some of the questions were what you would have expected: “What's your vision for growing the fellowship? In what ways are you hoping to impact the community? How are you going to train & disciple our kids?” etc...

But one question really bothered me & it came from a mature lady; she had attended for at least 20 years, lost a husband in that time, served in different capacities & ministries, was close to retirement age...

Her question: “Are you going to feed us?”

I got up & walked out into the foyer, just shaking my head as I did so. I sat in one of the bistro chairs & pondered her sincere but silly question.

Now I don't know about you but I'm a grown man. I can bathe, clothe & feed myself; so can everyone I know who's over the age of 15. 

Am I the only person who's ever read 1 John 2:27

“But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him”

Look at the phrases “you do not need anyone to teach you” & “the same anointing teaches you”, there's no mental gymnastics here, it says what it says & means what it says. Paul's letter to the Ephesians states that God gave gifts in the form of teachers, pastors, evangelists, etc for the equipping of the saints & I'm not dismissing that verse or those gifts in any sense or by any means. 

It appears though that somehow most people have adopted a “me” mindset = entertain me, feed me... when I read the Bible I see no place where shepherds fed the sheep. I see where shepherds led them to places where they can safely graze but they themselves didn't feed the sheep. Shepherds watch over, lead & guide the sheep but they don't feed them, the sheep do the actual eating themselves.

When Jesus fed the 4,000 right after feeding the 5,000, they did the actual eating. Semantics? Maybe. I know of too many people though that believe that "feed My sheep" means your only diet comes from a once a week message.

Questions:

  • Are you feeding yourself or being spoon fed?
  • Are you relying on the anointing to teach you?
  • Are you dependent on a person for your spiritual growth?


Comments

Popular Posts