The Coterie Perplexity

coterie = a group of people who associate closely, an exclusive group, clique

I'm going to say something that might be a little controversial and/or taken the wrong way, but hear me out before you judge me or write me off:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I wish the Body of Christ was more like the world.

As some of you know, I have a few recreational hobbies, golf being the newest addition to the things that want my time, but there's two activities that I've always enjoyed: billiards & cards.



There's several types of billiard games & no one game is superior to any other, they seem to coexist peacefully. Those who like to play 8-ball don't deride those who prefer 7-ball, 9-ball, Snooker, Bar Billiards or Bumper Pool (well, Bumper Pool is underestimated & unappreciated but that's a whole other blog). I myself prefer Straight Pool, it's been around since the 19th Century & it was the game to play up until 9-ball came along & usurped it. On the whole though, those who like billiards like others who like billiards, it's community based on a common love for cue sports.



As for cards, there's enough variations for everyone on the planet. Some people prefer Hearts, others Spades, Gin Rummy, Bridge, Black Jack, Texas Hold'em, etc. I prefer 7 Card Stud myself; it has a rich American history & the game is very challenging. In the world of cards, no one judges anyone else on their game of choice, there's an unspoken love & bond in the card playing community.

In the Church however, well… that's a different story. Each denomination usually eyes the others w/ suspicion, distrust & a superior attitude. The Baptists look down on the Episcopalians who look down the Lutherans who look down the Methodists who look down on the Catholics who usually look down on everyone who is not Catholic. Each one believes they have the correct view of doctrine & therefore has a hard time even considering the whole fellowship thing w/ other Christians who may not believe exactly what they do.

Billiards players like other billiard players. 
Card players like other card players.



Unlike the billiard & card player community, in the Church it often appears there's little love for others  & especially other Christians who don't like or play the same game as you do. 

It's in this sense I wish that sometimes, just sometimes, the Body of Christ was more like the world...

Comments

Popular Posts